Saturday, January 10

These mashed potatoes are soo creamy...

Today was crazy family day. I suppose you may take that any way you like. Essentially we celebrated three birthdays. There was a pathetic little half cake and cupcakes. As my sister put it "This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever." It is her birthday. I am prone to agree with her but since the whole dual cake smorgasbord was my idea I guess I should stick by it. Though, really, it made no sense.

We all went out to eat at a steakhouse. Of course, the girls had to go to the bathroom where the following exchange occurred:

M: "Look at all this brown. Just like cows. Since this is a cow restaurant."
E: "Do you think the potties are loud?"(always asks this)
M: "They must really like cows here. I bet only people who like cows eat here."
Me: "I think people who like to eat cows eat here."
M: "Yes. Because cows are made out of chicken. Just like what we eat."

Apparently I should teach them better about where food comes from. Since, you know, all meat comes from chicken. Perhaps we eat at a certain cluck-fil-a a bit too much.

After terrorizing our waiter, we headed back to Gammy and Guk-Guk's house for the above mentioned cake. BabyChub was only too happy to eat cake for the second time this week. This time chocolate. I don't get the feeling he is choosy.

I took lots of photos but am currently too lazy to upload them. I wish cake had the same effect on me as the kids. This post would be much more fun if it did.

Days like today make me miss having a husband around. It is sad for the kids not to have their dad there and I hate being by myself. People always give that pitying look. Even when they are trying not to, it's there. It's rather like showing up without your arm and trying to pretend nothing is wrong. There is no pretending. Something is wrong and it's very obvious.

I don't mean to be a downer. But some days are much harder than others. Today was a hard, sad day. Luckily busy, but still very heavy for me. I keep thinking I will get used to this. I guess it will just take more time. This life is one I never, ever, ever imagined. Not in my wildest nightmare could I have envisioned this. I hate it. But God is faithful. And I am grateful for the many ways he has shown his love and mercy. Even now, I know I wouldn't trade where I'm at. I don't like this valley but I know God more intimately than ever. I see him working. I see him, even when I don't see what's ahead. That's enough. It has to be. And, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment