Wednesday, January 14

Hmm. Which cliche to choose...


I am so overwhelmed today by the providence of God. Not in the 'ooh, that bumper sticker says just what I needed!' sort of way. In the big sense. The eternal sense.


I have been mourning the loss of Joe this week. Wishing I could have met him in person. Sat under his counsel and had a conversation with him. Gleaned from him. Part of me wanted to cry out--it's not fair. (Yes. I am that selfish. sigh.)


And then. And. Then. God showed me the most wonderful picture. All the dear, amazing people I am currently surrounded by have sat under Joe. They have walked parts of their journeys with him, gleaning and learning. And now I walk my journey drinking from the same cup. That same refreshment is poured over me.


Because, really, it's not Joe. It's Christ. It's his wisdom and teaching. His patience and faithfulness. His gentleness that pries my hands from the very things that would kill me. His voice in the cold, lonely nights. His word that is balm; he binds up my wounds and teaches me to dance again. He gives me a voice and the song to sing.


I am grateful for the old souls. The Joes in this world. The messy, battered, humble, weathered signposts that point to something bigger. Something real and eternal. I am grateful for a God that gives us one another to share this road together. What divine mercy and grace that teaches us to love. A lifetime to practice for an eternity with Him.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It meant so much to me. I cried for you as I read through your blog. Your honesty, rawness, and beautiful words have touched me deeply. I am so sorry for all you are going through. I cannot say that I understand your pain but I will be here for you, in thought, in prayer, and as a sister in Christ. I want you to know that I love you. I don't need to know you to say that. I will check in on you often but please know that I am thinking of you and praying for you and your family.

    Brandy :)

    Always remember who you are...
    Chosen and adopted,
    Daughter of a King!

    ReplyDelete